- LOOKING TO ADOPT
- Domestic Programs
- Domestic Information
- International Programs
- International Information
- Adoption Facts
- Adoption Glossary
- Adoptions at Gladney
- Adoption Process
- Countries That Built Our History
- Hague Training
- Humanitarian Aid
- Waiting Child Webinars
- Orphan Care Ministry Resource
- Pathways Training
- Waiting Children
- Which Country is Right for You?
- Reference Families Information
- Request Free Adoption Packet!
- I'M PREGNANT
- ABOUT US
- OUR SERVICES
- POST ADOPTION
- FAMILY ASSOCIATION
Suggested Readings on Adoption
Read what the experts say about parenting adopted children.
- The Connected Child By Karyn B. Purvis, David R. Cross, Wendy Lyons Sunshine.
- The Connected Child, co-authored by Dr. Karyn Purvis, has already helped countless adoptive and foster parents. Now Empowered To Connect™ has created a companion study guide entitled Created To Connect — A Christian’s Guide to The Connected Child and other helpful resources that highlight many of the underlying biblical principles of The Connected Child and offers new insights for parents. Back to School: Tips to School Success (PDF Format)
- 31 Nuggets of Hope, by Shelly Roberts
- From Ashes to Africa, by Josh and Amy Bottomly.
- An Empty Lap: One Couple's Journey to Parenthood, by Jill Smolowe.
- Adopting: Sound Choices, Strong Families, by Patricia Johnson.
- The Long Awaited Stork: A Guide To Parenting After Infertility, by Ellen S. Glazer.
- Healing the Infertile Family, by Gay Becker, Ph.D.
- Surviving Infertility, by Linda Salzer.
- In On It: What Adoptive Parents Would Like You To Know About Adoption. A Guide for Relatives and Friends, by Elisabeth O'Toole.
- A Love Like No Other: Stories from Adoptive Parents, edited by Pamela Kruger and Jill Smolowe.
- Adoption Resource Book, by Lois Gilman.
- Communicating With the Adopted Child, by Dr. Miriam Komar.
- Helping Children Cope with Separation and Loss, by Claudia L. Jewett.
- Making Sense of Adoption, by Lois R. Melina.
- Raising Adopted Children, by Lois R. Melina.
Younger Children's Books
- Adoption is for Always, by Linda N. Girard.
- The Chosen Baby, by Valentina P. Wasson.
- The Day We Met You, by Phoebe Koehler.
- A Family for Jamie, by Suzanne Bloom.
- The Mulberry Bird, by Anne Brodzinsky.
- Oliver, by Priscilla Marden.
- Our Baby: A Birth And Adoption Story, by Janice Koch.
- Susan and Gordon Adopt a Baby, by Judy Freudberg and Tony Geiss.
- Why Was I Adopted?, by Carole Livingston.
Older Children's Books
- Star of the Week: A Story of Love, Adoption, and Brownies with Sprinkles, by Darlene Friedman .
- Being Adopted, by Maxine Rosenberg.
- Filling in the Blanks: A Guided Look at Growing Up Adopted, by Susan Gabel.
- How It Feels to be Adopted, by Jill Krementz.
Books For Adult Adoptees
- The Adoption Life Cycle: The Children and Their Families Through the Years, by Elinor Rosenberg.
- Being Adopted: The Lifelong Search for Self, by D.M. Brodzinsky.
Search And Reunion
- Birthbond, by Judith S. Gediman and Linda P. Brown.
- Lost and Found: The Adoption Experience, by Betty J. Lifton.
- Search: A Handbook for Adoptees and Birth Parents, by Jayne Askin.
- More Than "I" Can Handle, by Eileen Mestas.
- Mommy's Heart Went POP!, by Christina Kyllonen and Peter Greer.
- Are Those Kids Yours?, by Cheri Register.
- Brian Was Adopted, by Doris Sanford.
- Butterflies in the Wind: Spanish/Indian Children with White Parents, by Jean and Heino Erichsen.
- Chinese Eyes, by Majorie A. Waybill.
- Horace, by Holly Keller.
- Is That Your Sister? A True Story of Adoption, by Catherine and Sherry Burin.
- A Mother for Choco, by Keiko Kasza.
- Story of an Adoption: Why Do I Look Different?, by Darla Lowe.
- We Adopted You Benjamin Koo, by Linda W. Girard.
- Where the Sun Kisses the Sea, by Susan Gabel.
- Why Am I Different, by Norma Simon.
- Our Children From Latin America, by Laurel Strassberger.
- John, Jaiya. Black Baby White Hands: A View from the Crib.
- Bates, J.D. (1993). Gift Children: A Story of Race, Family, and Adoption in a Divided America. New York: Ticknor and Fields.
- Canape, C. (1986). Adoption: Parenthood Without Pregnancy - A Complete Handbook to the Complicated and Frustrating Process of Adopting a Child. New York: Henry Holt and Co.
- Funderburg, L. (1994). Black, White, Other: Biracial Americans Talk About Race and Identity. New York: William Morrow.
- Gay, K. (1995). I Am Who I Am: Speaking Out About Multiracial Identity. New York: Franklin Watts.
- Greenberg, J.E. & Carey, H.H. (1987). Adopted. New York: Franklin Watts.
- Hayes, P. (1993). Transracial Adoptions: Politics and Ideology. Child Welfare, 72(3), 301-310.
- Hibbs, E.D. (1991). Adoption: International Perspectives. Madison, CT IUP.
- Hicks, R.B. (1995). Adopting In America. Wordslinger Press.
- Hoffman-Riem, C. (1990). The Adopted Child: Family Life With Double Parenthood. Transaction Publishers.
- Johnston, P.I. (1992). Adopting After Infertility. Perspective Press.
- Lifton, B.J. (1998, February). Lost and Found: The Adoption Experience. Child Welfare League of American, Inc.
- Micheals, Rondell, Florence, and Ruth. (1978). The Adopted Family-Book I: You and Your Child: A Guide for Adoptive Parents. Crown Publishers.
- Nason, D. & Etchinson, B. (1983). The Celebration Family. Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishing.
- O'Hearn, Claudine Chiawei. (1998). Half and Half. New York: Pantheon.
- Obama, B. (1995). Dreams From My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance. Times Books.
- Reynolds, N.T. (1993). Adopting Your Child: Options, Answers, and Actions. North Vancouver.
- Rogers, F. (1994). Adoption - Let's Talk About It. Putnam.
- Rosenberg, E. B. (1992). Adoption Life Cycle: The children and Their Families Through the Years. New York: Free Press.
- Rosenberg, Maxine B. (1986). Living in Two Worlds. Lothrop.
- Rosenthal, J.A., Groze, V., Curiel, H. & Westcott, P.A. (1990). Transracial and Inracial Adoption of Special Needs Children. Journal of Multicultural Social Work, 1(3), 13-32.
- Simon, R. & Alstein, H. (1992). Adoption, Race, and Identity: From Infancy through Adolescence. New York: Praeger.
- Simon, R. J., Alstein, &., & Eds. (1991). Intercountry Adoption: A multinational perspective. New York: Praeger Publishers.
- Simon, R.J., Alstein, H., & Melli, M.S. (1994). The Case for Transracial Adoption. Washington, D.C.: American University Press.
- Sweet, O.R. & Bryan, P. (1996). Adopt International: Everything You Need to Know to Adopt a Child From Abroad. Farrar, Straus and Giroux Publishers.
- Verrier, N.N. (1997, February). Understanding the Adopted Child. Verrier Publications.